Opening up your kitchen is a great idea. It can let light in as well as create an inviting space, making cooking meals for family and friends a pleasurable affair.
Here are a few ideas about how to redesign an open kitchen in your home:
1. Establish your budget. You should establish some ground rules, i.e. spending limits. This will help you select materials as well as perhaps force you to be more creative in your design ideas. You will then be able to proceed with realistic goals in hand.
2. Give the sink area lots of light and a view. Placing the sink below a window has the double benefit of adding natural light as well as giving you a lovely view while cleaning up. If that’s not possible, face the sink towards a counter where you might interact with others. (This is supposed to be an open kitchen, after all.)
3. Remember the triangle: refrigerator, sink, stove. These are the most active points in your kitchen and they should be accessible to each other in a few steps. The fridge and the sink need to be closest, while the stove can be a little more isolated. Keep your waste containers in a rolling drawer steps from the sink.
4. Less is more, especially in smaller open kitchens. Minimize the number of appliances, maximize countertop areas. If possible, create a raised countertop area with bar stools for conversation with guests.
5. Consider a way to close off the kitchen when needed or desired. Open kitchens are wonderful, but sometimes we don’t want it always on display. You may decide to add a sliding door in front of the stove, for example, helping to reduce odors and noise.
6. Knocking down walls? Hire a professional. You don’t want to compromise the integrity of your home! A licensed contractor can help you create the design and select your materials; when the job is completed you will have peace of mind knowing it has been done right.
An essential part of any open kitchen remodel is the countertops. At Artelye Marble and Granite in Beltsville, Maryland, we have thousands of slabs to choose from, from the exotic to the traditional, in all price ranges. Granite or quartz? Marble or Aspen? A representative will be happy to talk to you about the pros and cons of each. We also have a new location/showroom in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Additionally, Artelye Marble & Granite will professionally install your chosen countertop to your exact specifications. We will measure everything and cut with laser accuracy so that every joint is perfect. Our entire service is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
Are you ready to open up your kitchen? Give us a call and let’s talk.